When a step template fails in one environment it will stop it from running in other environments

I created a step template which i want to run on all of my environments.
However it is run 4 environments at a time, and if a single environment is failing for any reason, the step template won’t run on the next environments.

Can i configure it somehow so it will run the step template on all the environments even if some of them failed?

Thanks

Hi @dvirl,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you’re hitting this undesired behavior here. To help me better understand your current process and setup, can you expand a bit on how you’re running this step template? Is it part of your deployment process, or are you running it via the script console, etc.?

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi, thanks for the reply

I am going to “Library > Step Templates > Custom Step Templates” there i search for my step template, and click “Run”
Then I select multiple targets (each representing a different server).
The Step Template completes successfully on the first 3 targets, but fails on the 4th, failing the whole operation, and not running the Step Template on the other targets.

Hi @dvirl,

Thanks for following up! I appreciate you confirming that. When running a custom step template, it creates a single task to run on all deployment targets, so a failure on one target fails the task. Unfortunately I’m not sure we’ll have a super ideal solution right now, but I do see a couple of options.

You could configure this custom step template as a runbook in a project. This would allow you to target an individual environment, where the environment can have guided failure mode enabled. When running this runbook against the environment, an error on one machine will prompt for input on how to handle it, which can be ignored and continue with the rest.

Similarly, maybe you could use this step template in a standalone project’s deployment process to make use of guided failure mode.

Would something like that help address this in a satisfactory way? I look forward to hearing back. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny