What is the main selling point for octopusdeploy?

Hello,

I am very new to octopusdeploy but I’ve been a lot of deployments directly from CI.

The advantage that I found is that if we are in the environment where we can install the Tentacle on all servers then it would be very easy to deploy.

But what else?

What would be the suggestion for those who is using Azure Website/WebJob (no VM, no cloud service, no tentacle)?

Hi,

Thanks for the question. In my mind, the biggest selling points in Octopus vs. using a CI tool for deployments are when you want to run stages of your deployment in parallel. For example, perhaps you’re deploying to one web server - that’s easy to wire up to a CI system. But what if you have 5 servers? A CI tool runs activities sequentially, while Octopus is designed to run many steps in parallel.

As for running tasks on the Octopus server - if you compare it to a CI tool like TeamCity, Team Build or CruiseControl, you can’t run tasks on those servers either. The solution is to install the build agent service on the build server machine. Most CI tools install an agent on the same server as the build server by default, so perhaps it’s not obvious. For Octopus, we use the same solution. You can read more here:

Hope that helps!

Paul

Yes. I agreed that it will be helpful when we need to deploy a lot of servers.

A CI tool runs activities sequentially

Some CI supports parallel task.

The solution is to install the build agent service on the build server machine. Most CI tools install an agent on the same server as the build server by default,

Yes. Build agent will be installed on the CI server (build server). then we deploy to another server from build server. (Example: http://michaelsync.net/2013/11/09/continous-delivery-full-script-for-deploying-azure-webrole-and-workerrole-from-powershell ) It makes sense to install the build agent on build server because it’s for building the solution (not just for publishing the site. )

But yeah. My intention is to know the usefulness of Octopus over CI so I totally agree with you on publishing to multiple servers.

Thanks a lot for explanation!