What does Acquire Package do?

Hi Octopus team,

Every time there is a deployment, there is always a step to acquire the package, but I thought the package already stored in the Octopus server. The package deploy step will actually transfer the package from octopus server to the deployment target. So what does the acquire package do?

Thanks.

Hi Jian,

Thanks for getting in touch! The acquire packages step ensures the packages exist (in the built-in feed and/or your external feed) which will be used during a deployment. During this step, Ocotpus uploads the packages used in the deployment to all servers. This is done because package uploads can be time consuming, and this minimizes the downtime between installing packages.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions going forward. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the reply, I am wondering since the acquire package is taking a long time, is there a way to run other steps while acquiring the package?

I know there is a session article regarding to the run process in parallel, but that does not seems work for my situation.

Thanks

Hi Jian,

Thanks for following up! Unfortunately there’s no way to run steps while acquiring the packages. What’s usually done to avoid downtime during package acquisition is to pre-stage your packages by using a manual intervention step. If you define an intervention step immediately before your package step, you can start the deployment, have the packages acquired and then continue the deployment when you’re ready. Would this help your scenario? You can read a bit more about this option in our doc page.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions going forward.

Kind regards,

Kenny

Thanks for the information, this is not something I was hoping for, but thank you.