Website IP Address for Server behind load balancer

I have trouble getting documentation on how to configure IP address for my web site on web server behind the load balancer. Say I have pool of 3 servers hosting different websites; when I deploy to these servers how do I configure IP address matching the server? Somehow I need to match machine name with IP address but since I have lot many IPs on the server (hosting multiple websites) I don’t know how to correctly identify IP.

Any ideas to achieve this?

Bhavesh

Hi Amin,

Thanks for getting in touch!

When you add a new deployment target you will need to provide its name that can be resolved to an IP address or the IP address itself. Unfortunately we can’t help you with that but your IT support team should be able to provide you with this information.

Please, let me know if this doesn’t solve your problem.

Regards,

Pawel

Thanks Pawel. I can provide the name of website as its going to be the same on 3 servers lets say www.myawesomesite.com which resolves to 3 different IPs on 3 web servers differently for instance 121.121.121.1 (Web1), 121.121.121.2 (Web2) and 121.121.121.3 (Web3).

My confusion is how do octopus know to get 121.121.121.1 or 121.121.121.2 or 121.121.121.3 based on the server (Web1/Web2/Web3) its deploying the package?

Bhavesh

Hi,

Thank you for the details. Unfortunately I’m not sure I fully understand the problem.

Can you please describe the end result you are trying to achieve? Having more context will help me provide better recommendation.

Regards,

Pawel

Sure Pawel.

We have 1 web server in stage, and 3 web servers on production. Each of these web servers runs multiple websites so for instance there are two websites www.website1.com and www.website2.com and each of these has their own IP addresses to listen to.

Octopus is installed within the network and tentacles are installed on each server for pull.

When I create a deployment process for my website, I need to provide binding details. For stage since there is only one server, I can provide hard coded IP address as part of binding details for each website.

Now for production, we have 3 servers so having 6 IP address for 2 websites each in my deployment process, how do I match/find IP address for www.website1.com from those 6 IPs.

Is there easier way to do it? I guess this should be very common scenario when you have more than 1 server for load balancing.

Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Bhavesh

Hi,

Thank you for the details. Would it be possible for your websites to listen on all available IP addresses? IP Address field can be left empty. That would be the easiest solution.

If not, then you can bind IP Address field to a variable and then specify different values(different IP addresses) for each combination of Step and Machine. Please have a look at the attached screenshots for more details.

Please, let me know if that doesn’t solve your problem.

Regards,

Pawel

Thanks Pawel. I have achieved the same thing little differently. Please see attached image. Thanks for confirming the approach.

Bhavesh

Hi,

I’m glad you’ve found a solution.

Regards,

Pawel