Website install issue

Hi Paul,

I’ve tripped over a small issue which I hope you’ll be able to help with. When deploying a new version of our application sometimes elements of it don’t change and so are at the same version as the previous deployment. However, looking at the log it would appear that Octopus attempts to uninstall/reinstall when this is not necessary. For example, in the attached log snippet you can see that the Tentacle has detected that the package has been extracted already, but then attempts an uninstall process - surely if the version numbers are the same then the assumption should be that nothing further needs to be done? As things stand, it attempts to overwrite but as you can see gets a permission issue as the app pool has the content locked - recycling the app pool releases the lock and the deployment works as expected.

If this is expected behaviour, is there a way I can trigger an app pool recycle before any of this occurs? Also I’m guessing the same or a similar issue could occur for windows services?

Thanks,
John

log.txt (3 KB)

Hi John,

The current behaviour is to re-install the package even if the version number matches. I’m going to change that behaviour before the 1.0 so that if the package is already installed, it leaves it by default. However, there will be a “force” option that re-enables the current behaviour, which can be done per deployment.

It’s on the task board as “make re-installation of existing packages optional”:

https://trello.com/board/octopus/4e907de70880ba000079b75c

Paul

Sadly there is no way to turn this off at the moment or to run a script beforehand. Are you able to work around it by incrementing the package version number? I’ll have a new build really really soon and I’ll try and include this fix.

Paul

Hi Paul,

No problem, I workaround by recycling the apppools first, it’s not the end of the world but the change in behaviour you suggest is the right thing to do IMO.

Thanks,
John