Web Deploy causing Octopus to hang

I am using a Web Deploy - Publish Website (MSDeploy) step in my Octopus project to deploy to Azure. 3 times out of 4 it hangs during Tentacle script execution and just says Publishing Website in the Task log. I have to cancel the failed deployment. Next time it might work, it may not.
Where should I should I start to find a fix. I’ve done a Check health on environment and all is fine.
Thanks

Sorry I forgot to add that this problem started after I moved Octopus from one VM to another in Azure. I am guessing there may some configuration I need to update.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for getting in touch. If the health check looks fine and and the deploy works sometimes, all leads to performance issues between your new VM and your tentacle. I would start by analyzing the traffic between the Octopus server and the tentacle and see if something is moving there. If you let the task run long enough, does it fail at some point? I’m asking this so you can check the event viewer after the timeout and maybe get a glimpse of what is going on.

Thanks,

Dalmiro

I’m seeing the same thing here. I had to manually stop the process, as it stopped responding to any task.

Hi Dalmiro,

No it doesn’t seem to timeout, I’ve left it for 6 hours before and it just sits there. How can I analyse the traffic?

Regards,

Matthew

image001.jpg

Hi,

Are you trying to upload a very big file? To analyse the traffic you can use fiddler from your tentacle and check on which part of the deployment it is stalling. Once you are done scanning the traffic you can send us the log if you want and we can check it as well.

Thanks!

Dalmiro.

Hi Dalmiro,

When it works it takes under a minute and the data copied is not large

BytesCopied : 8066560

I installed Fiddler but it shows nothing. The tentacle is on a VM in Azure and I am deploying to an Azure website.

I’m sure this only started happening after a move the VM to a new host. Is there any config on the tentacles I can check? There are 3, maybe one or two isn’t configured correctly or in some way references the old hostname?

Matt

image001.jpg

Hi Matt,

Apologies for the late reply. Could you send us your tentacle logs from c:\Octopus\Logs? We’re aiming to look at a log from a failed deployment, so it would be really helpful if you could reproduce the error and after that send us the latest logs.

Thanks!

Dalmiro,

Hi Dalmiro,

The Autofac container for the web app wasn’t been disposed at Application End and this was causing the deployment problem. It’s fixed now, thanks.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Glad to hear that!

Dalmiro