Warning about bundled AWS tools appearing in every step

As of yesterday, every time a step of type “Run an AWS CLI Script” is run a warning is appearing in our logs.

Using the AWS tools bundled with Octopus is not recommended. Learn more about AWS Tools at AWS CLI and PowerShell scripts | Documentation and Support.

First and foremost, we are not using the bundled AWS tools, but rather executing the script in a docker container.

Second, adding a warning to every step of that type makes it seem as though there are issues with every deployment, which is 100% not the case. However, the warning means that someone has to thoroughly inspect the logs to ensure that there are no genuine warnings being masked by this undesired and unnecessary warning.

Please remove this warning, or at the very least change the log level (perhaps to highlight).

Hi @dgard1981,

Thanks for reaching out to Octopus Support!
Sorry to hear you’re running into these warning messages.

Are you experiencing this issue on Octopus Cloud?

If yes, I was wondering if it would be okay for me to create a support user on your instance so that I may investigate why you’re experiencing the warning messages? I won’t modify any projects or configurations.

Please let me know if this is possible!

Kind Regards,
Adam

Hi Adam,

Yep, this is Octopus cloud. It’s fine for you to create a support user. I will send you a private message with the details in it.

1 Like

Hi David,

Thanks very much for the detailed information.

I wonder if the issue you’re experiencing is due to a UI bug or stale data in the step?

When de-selecting ‘Run inside a container’ on that project, the tooling part seems to automatically select the non-default option of ‘Use AWS tools bundled with Octopus’, rather than ‘use AWS tools pre-installed on the worker’.

Would it be possible for you to try creating a fresh ‘Run an AWS CLI script’ step using the same container image and running a deployment to see if the issue appears on the new step, also?

Kind Regards,
Adam

Hi Adam,

I don’t really want to go playing with existing processes/steps as they have been validated, and any changes would require re-validation. Nothing changed from when there was no warning to when the warning appeared.

I’ll send you some more links in the PM.

Thanks,
David

Hi David,

Thanks for the additional information.

It looks as though the difference between these deployments is the Octopus version that they are running on.

5 days ago your instance was updated to 2021.2.7293. We started providing this warning message in 2021.2 to encourage users to move towards execution containers.

Rather than changing or adding any deployment steps inside that project, which I understand why you would be hesitant to do, would you be able to try creating a new project with a single step inside it, configured in the same manner as the project steps where you’re getting the warnings?

This can be as simple as running write-host "Hello World" inside the in-line source code, no need to actually use any AWS CLI commands.

Please let me know if this is something that you can test.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Hi Adam,

I actually have a project that I created yesterday, so no need to create a new project, and it is not displaying warnings. Several of the steps in this process were cloned from another project that is now displaying warnings.

I’ve pulled out the deployment process for both of those steps via the API, and I can see that in the new project created yesterday the steps do have the property OctopusUseBundledTooling: "False". When changing in the UI to run on a worker rather than in a container, the option for the new project is to use tools on the worker, which is now the default, whereas older projects have the option to use bundled tools. So I’m guessing that as well as the displaying the unwanted warning, the updated changed the default option for AWS tools.

So while I now understand what has happened and why it’s happened, please know that this is undesirable and will cause a lot of work. Not only will we have to check every single project for “Run an AWS CLI Script” steps and update them, we’ll also have to revalidate those projects. And for any old releases that contain a process snapshot where OctopusUseBundledTooling: "False" is missing, we’ll have to engage QA to inspect logs and ensure that the unwanted Octopus warning isn’t masking any genuine warnings that we need to be concerned about.

Long story short, please remove this warning. It’s not necessary for two reasons -

1. You warn in the Octopus UI
  2. We’re not even using the bundled tools because we’re running in a Docker container, so it shouldn’t matter.

Thanks,
David

Hi David,

I appreciate your patience while I looked into this further.

I agree that modifying the process steps one by one is time-intensive and not ideal.
I’ve created a GitHub issue for this, where hopefully we can fix this issue to make sure these warnings aren’t showing for steps that are using container tools: GitHub Issue

I believe the warning shows on the Task Log to alert users that have previously been using the Octopus Built-In AWS tooling, as they’re less likely to open the process steps to see the warning displayed there but are likely to notice the warning in the Task Log.

Apologies that I don’t have an immediate resolution for you here, but hopefully, our developers can roll out a fix that will stop the false-positive warnings from appearing.

I’d also like to thank you for reporting this issue and allowing us to look at your instance for further information.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please reach out, and we’ll do our best to answer them,

Kind Regards,
Adam

Thanks Adam, I’ll keep an eye on the GitHub issue and hope for a resolution soon.

Thanks,
David

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.