VSTS Push Package(s) to Octopus, support wildcards

(Daniel Guenter) #1

Hi I’m using the marketplace extension for azure devops to push packages to Octopus.

I need to push all packages in a folder to octopus. In the team city plugin wildcards are supported. In the VSTS Push Package(s) to Octopus step it requires one package per line.

This is very difficult because I cannot initialize a multiline variable from a Powershell Task in VSTS release pipelines. I also cannot just call the tool myself with the right parameters from powershell because the credentials are locked up in the service connection and can’t be accessed from a script.

Can you provide either 1) multiple paths separated by something other than newline? or 2) support wildcards for the package name/path.

(Shannon Lewis) #3

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for getting in touch. I’ve just checked and in our test instance that field does support globbing and wildcards. Could I get you to check which version of the extension and which version of the step (shown in a dropdown on the step) you are using?

Would you also be able to check what you are seeing on the build log for the step?

Regards
Shannon

(Daniel Guenter) #4

Hi, thanks for replying.

Here is what the step looks when I am creating it.

This seems to be the version of the step deployed to dev.azure.com

This is the output of the step when I try to run it.

Task         : Push Package(s) to Octopus
==============================================================================
Description  : Push your NuGet or Zip package to your Octopus Deploy Server
Version      : 4.0.387
Author       : Octopus Deploy
Help         : Version: 4.0.387. [More Information](https://g.octopushq.com/TFS-VSTS)
==============================================================================
dd847bf1-f448-4d32-882e-feb6378d2945 exists true
Attempting to contact https://g.octopushq.com to find Octo command line tool version latest
Checking local tool cache
Found tool in cache: Octo 6.13.1 x64
Looking for C:\vsts-agent\_work\_tool\Octo\6.13.1\x64\*Octo.dll
Prepending PATH environment variable with directory: C:\vsts-agent\_work\_tool\Octo\6.13.1\x64
[command]C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /D /S /C "C:\vsts-agent\_work\_tool\Octo\6.13.1\x64\Octo.cmd version"

C:\vsts-agent\_work\r1\a>dotnet "C:\vsts-agent\_work\_tool\Octo\6.13.1\x64\/Octo.dll" version 
[command]C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /D /S /C "C:\vsts-agent\_work\_tool\Octo\6.13.1\x64\Octo.cmd push "--server=https://build.somecompany.com:4431/" "--apiKey=***" "--space=Default" "--package=deploy-packages/*.zip" "--overwrite-mode=FailIfExists""

C:\vsts-agent\_work\r1\a>dotnet "C:\vsts-agent\_work\_tool\Octo\6.13.1\x64\/Octo.dll" push "--server=https://build.somecompany.com:4431/" "--apiKey=***" "--space=Default" "--package=deploy-packages/*.zip" "--overwrite-mode=FailIfExists" 

System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
Parameter name: path
   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)
   at Octopus.Cli.Util.OctopusPhysicalFileSystem.GetFullPath(String relativeOrAbsoluteFilePath) in C:\buildAgent\work\289bf0fca31007af\source\Octopus.Cli\Util\OctopusPhysicalFileSystem.cs:line 370
   at Octopus.Cli.Commands.Package.PushCommand.EnsurePackageExists(IOctopusFileSystem fileSystem, String package) in C:\buildAgent\work\289bf0fca31007af\source\Octopus.Cli\Commands\Package\PushCommand.cs:line 93
   at Octopus.Cli.Commands.Package.PushCommand.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<.ctor>b__0(String package) in C:\buildAgent\work\289bf0fca31007af\source\Octopus.Cli\Commands\Package\PushCommand.cs:line 26
   at Octopus.Cli.Infrastructure.Option.Invoke(OptionContext c) in C:\buildAgent\work\289bf0fca31007af\source\Octopus.Cli\Infrastructure\Options.cs:line 492
   at Octopus.Cli.Infrastructure.OptionSet.Parse(String argument, OptionContext c) in C:\buildAgent\work\289bf0fca31007af\source\Octopus.Cli\Infrastructure\Options.cs:line 836
   at Octopus.Cli.Infrastructure.OptionSet.<>c__DisplayClass22_0.<Parse>b__0(String argument) in C:\buildAgent\work\289bf0fca31007af\source\Octopus.Cli\Infrastructure\Options.cs:line 742
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereArrayIterator`1.ToList()
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at Octopus.Cli.Infrastructure.OptionSet.Parse(IEnumerable`1 arguments) in C:\buildAgent\work\289bf0fca31007af\source\Octopus.Cli\Infrastructure\Options.cs:line 740
   at Octopus.Cli.Infrastructure.Options.Parse(IEnumerable`1 arguments) in C:\buildAgent\work\289bf0fca31007af\source\Octopus.Cli\Infrastructure\OptionGroup.cs:line 36
   at Octopus.Cli.Commands.ApiCommand.<Execute>d__34.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Octopus.Cli.CliProgram.Run(String[] args) in C:\buildAgent\work\289bf0fca31007af\source\Octopus.Cli\CliProgram.cs:line 52
Exit code: -3
(Daniel Guenter) #5

Update.

It looks like wildcards DO work. The path I was specifying was incomplete, it should have been…

Default\drop\deploy-packages\*.zip

Once the path was valid, it DID find the packages and deployed them. I guess I was confused by the original error and the help text for the step.