VSTS Build vNext Custom Build Task extension

Hi,

Before VSO (Visual Studio Online) changed to VSTS and before the Marketplace was available, we manually installed the Build vNext Octopus Deploy Custom Build Task. We followed the instructions here: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3049169

We would like to uninstall the manually configured task and switch over to the official add-on in the marketplace, which I assume will be updated regularly.

What is the best strategy to uninstall the custom build task that was manually installed in order to use the marketplace version? What effect will this have on our existing build definitions?

Thanks!

Hi Larry,

Great to hear you’re using the new step!

You’ll have to remove the manually configured task using the TFX-CLI tool. I think the command is tfx build tasks list to get the list of installed tasks (so you can get the ID), then tfx build tasks delete [id] to remove that task.

After removing it and installing the extension you may need to modify each of your build templates to take out the old task and replace it with the new one. Hopefully that’s not too difficult!

Let me know how you go!
Damo

Hi Damian,

Thanks for the advice. I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly. The only catch was that I needed to be the account owner to remove the task using tfx.

I didn’t need to make any changes to my build tasks.

All the best for 2016.