Variable sets reference as single item in many process steps

Good morning,

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I cannot seem to find whether its feasible to have environment variable defined on a global level that can be added to each step as predefined.

I have multiple services that have common environment variable for my container deployments.
E.g.

Variable Name Mapping
Environment #{Environment}
Environment1 #{Environment1}
Environment2 #{Environment2}
Environment3 #{Environment3}
Environment4 #{Environment4}

Currently these are all added to each step in the process editor. Now if I was to change one for example variable name “Environment”, I have to go through each project and then each process step and update. Obviously this is a time consuming task and also can have mistype or copy and pastes.

From a engineering perspective this is against DRY and is a bit of a headache to maintain.

What I currently have is a variable set defined in Library>Variable sets but I still have to add each of these into each step. Is there any way that can just state to implicit add them?

Ta

Hi Keith,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Changing variable names isn’t something that Octopus has anticipated occurring regularly, so the process isn’t the best it could be.

I think you might be able to alleviate some of this work by using custom step templates with your variables defined within them.
That way, if the variable name needs updating, you would only need to do this within the template and then use the update feature to push it to all projects using that step.

Regards,
Paul

Ahhh this looks like it could do the trick for me :slight_smile: :smile:

I will give it a go, appreciate the speedy response

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.