Variable Sets Limitations?

Dear Team,

I’m looking to store a massive amount of variables in a variable set, spanning potentially 100 clients, with 20 variables per environment, my rough estimate is that I’ll have up to 10,000 entries in this variable set overall.

The reason why I’m doing it this way is because the variables will be shared across projects, scoped to tenants and environments.

I just want to make sure that there isn’t a limitation or possible performance degradation in storing this amount of variables in a variable set.

Thanks

Hi Jason,

Thank you so much for reaching out! This is definitely an interesting case and I’m looking forward to helping you get the best solution for what you are doing.

The short answer is, you may see some performance degradation, but this performance slow-down will be only noticeable when you are trying to render your variable set within your browser. In other words, the performance of your endpoint machine, accessing the Octopus Deploy variable set page, will have some noticeable performance impact.

You should see no other degradation. The performance will still be reliant on your SQL servers performance and load at the time, but shouldn’t be significantly impacted by a 10,000 entry variable set.

I would love to hear more about this undertaking, as it’s not everyday that we hear about these sorts of expected numbers within variable sets. If you can provide some detail around the solution, I can run it past my team to see if we can brainstorm a solution that might result in a smaller variable set.

Otherwise, good luck!

Happy deploying and I would love to hear how it all goes.

Regards,

Dane.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.