Variable from Var Set used as Web App name in Azure WEb App step is not working (value is not set)

Hi!

I’ve configured The variable with variable named “envPrefix” = “featuretest” assigned (Scope) to “Feature Test” env.

After that in my Process in Azure Web App Step I reference this variable by using “Use Custom Expression” to create Web App name: #{envPrefix}-crm

When deploying I got an error:
Deploying package: C:\Octopus\OctopusServer\PackageCache\feeds-teamcity\CrmFrontEnd.1.1.2.203_056490DB776C874791CDE2155BF1FD35.nupkg
00:27:34Info
Deploying to Azure WebApp ‘#{envPrefix}-crm’ using subscription-id {trimmed}
00:27:40Error Could not find Azure Web App ‘#{envPrefix}-crm’ in subscription {trimmed}
00:27:40Error Running rollback conventions…
00:27:40Error Could not find Azure Web App ‘#{envPrefix}-crm’ in subscription {trimmed}
00:27:40FatalThe step failed: The remote script failed with exit code 1

Please help me understand what I did wrong?

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for getting in touch. A couple of things could be happening here:

• When Octopus creates a release, we take a snapshot of the variables and deployment steps. If you change them, the changes won’t be used unless you create a new release. Could that be the problem?
  • The variable scope might not quite be right.

You can try turning on this setting to print your variables during the deployment:

http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Debug+problems+with+Octopus+variables

This will print the values and give you a better idea of what’s going on.

Once you do this, if you send me a copy of the deployment log, I can also take a look to try and spot the issue.

Here’s how to export a deployment log:

http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task

Hope this helps!

Paul

Hi, Paul!

It’s strange, but looks like now it works.
I’ve created the new release – and was able to deploy that using Custom Variable Set.

I’ll keep monitoring the behavior.

Thx for troubleshooting settings – it helps.

Sincerely yours,
Alexander Izumov | Project Lead, UPTICK<uptick.com>