Using the Release Note Prefix doesn't seem to do anything

I’ve finally gotten all the stars aligned to start pushing and using build information (metadata). Work items are linked. Commits are linked, loving it so far!

The one thing we can’t figure out is how to use the Release note prefix setting in the JIRA server integration.

Here was my recent commit message:

“RESP-1277 Release note: Add GitVersion to build”

But it still used the story description:

My prefix setting is the default of “Release note:” in the jira integration settings page.

Am I doing something wrong? Does this overwrite the “Work Item Description”? Or add a different property somewhere that we should be accessing? Here is our release notes template:

#{each workItem in Octopus.Release.WorkItems}
- [#{workItem.Id}](#{workItem.LinkUrl}) - #{workItem.Description}
#{/each}

Hi @williams.jackj,

Thanks for getting in touch! That’s awesome to hear you’re loving this feature! I’m sorry about the confusion you’ve hit along the way, though. Your question has highlighted the fact that we should update some of our docs to make this process a bit clearer.

There’s some relevant information in section 3 of this doc page section that I think might help clear it up. It talks about the “comment”, not a commit description. A “comment” is what you add to the work item itself in Jira.:

Release Note Prefix (optional) : If specified, Octopus will look for a comment that starts with the given prefix text and use whatever text appears after the prefix as the release note, which will be available in the build information as the issue’s description. If no comment is found with the prefix then Octopus will default back to using the title for that issue.

I hope that helps get this working as expected! Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Oh man, completely misread that. Probably coding too late.

That’s actually nicer as it could let the PMs drive release notes.

One comment unrelated:

The “Build Information Repository” page takes FOREVER to load (like 20-50 seconds+). Any idea why this is? I thought it could be due to our needing to do the SQL Server 2017 update (to take advantage of the new json features), but wasn’t sure.

Hi @williams.jackj,

Thanks for following up! No worries, we’ve all been there. :slight_smile:

We’d certainly like to dig into this poor performance issue on the Build Information Repository page. Could I ask for a bit of information for us to dive into?

• Your server logs (located in C:\Octopus\Logs in standard installs)
  • A recording of the web traffic using FiddlerCap (more details in our documentation if needed)
  • Performance trace from your browser’s dev tools. In Chrome you can capture this here:

You can upload these files on Octopus.com under the Support tab while logged in with your Octopus ID as shown below.

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this issue!

Best regards,

Kenny