Using script modules in Octopus Runbooks

Hi all,

We’re currently using Octopus Server 2019.13.7. I wasn’t able to find how to use a script module in a Octopus Runbooks step. Are Script modules exclusive to “traditional” deployments or am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks a bunch!
Stefano

1 Like

Hi Stefano,

Thank you for contacting Octopus.

I just checked in my test environment and there does not appear to be a way to accomplish this via runbook unless you wanted to “Deploy a Release” for a different project. However, I did confirm that it works when a trigger is activated to Deploy a Release.

For clarity, are you trying to deploy an existing release for the project or just reference the script module for a particular step in your runbook?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny,

I’d like to reference the script for a particular step in my runbook.

Thanks

Hi Stefano,

Thank you for the quick clarification.

It doesn’t appear that we have this capability at the moment. However, I will raise this issue with our dev team to make sure it is on their radar.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Donny

1 Like

Hi Stefano,

I have good news!

After bringing this up with the dev team, they showed me that you can implement script modules for runbooks. The script module does not need to be pulled into the runbook if it is already pulled into the process for the project.

See example below:

“Say-Hello” script module

When defining a step in the runbook, there is a line that says “Script modules included in the project with be automatically imported”. Notice the “Say-Hello” function.

Upon saving that step, the script module does, in fact, pull in automatically and shows up on the process overview for the runbook.

Task log from a completed test run from the “Say-Hello” runbook.

I’m really glad that this option is available and our dev team was willing to share their “secrets”. :laughing:

Let me know if you have any more questions about this or anything else.

Regards,
Donny

Hi Donny,

It worked like a charm \o/

I’ve simply created a “mock” process step, added the desired Script Module and voilà: the script module became available to all runbooks in my project.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Regards,
Stefano

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.