Upgraded to 3.17, warnings about duplicate variables

I upgraded from 3.16.0 to 3.17.0 this morning, then we did a deployment. In 3.16.0, I had no warnings, but now in 3.17.0 I have a warning saying: You have a duplicate variable ‘’ between the Step Template used in the ‘Deploy site’ step and your Project or Variable Sets in use. Be aware that the latter will prevail over the values entered on the step.

The thing is, we do not use step templates (library->step templates)

Attached are the logs with logging enabled.

Thank you!

ServerTasks-8435.log.txt (57 KB)

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for getting in touch!

The warning that you are receiving is a result of a change made is Octopus 3.16.1 (GitHub issue #3699) which increased the duplicate step template logging from a verbose message in the logs to a warning.

If you are confident in the order of operations you are welcome to ignore the warning, or alternatively you can set the OctopusSuppressDuplicateVariableWarning variable to True to revert to the previous logging behavior. I have also had a few reports that removing and re-creating the variables in a project has cleared this error.

If these actions aren’t suitable or odn’t resolve the issue it would also be useful if you could let me know which inbuilt template you were using. I’m guessing that it is the “Deploy to IIS” step, however if you can confirm so I can accurately replicate the issue that would be very much appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly,

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

It is indeed the “Deploy to IIS” step template. I deleted the variables in the project, saved and recreated them.

I will come back to this post if I do get another warning concerning the duplicate variables.

Thanks!

Hello,

Deleting the variables and recreating them does not fix the problem.

I added the OctopusSuppressDuplicateVariableWarning to true for now

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for the update!

I am very interested in trying to get to the bottom of this one for you, so if you have the time it would be very much appreciated if you could let me know which built in step you are using so I can attempt to replicate the issue?

Thanks Dominique, happy deploying!

Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

I am using the “Deploy to IIS” step as mentioned above.

Thank you!

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for the information, sorry that I missed it earlier!

I will do some more investigation and I’ll let you know what I find.

Regards,
Alex