Upgrade to 2023.1 breaks deploys/releases with bad artifact metadata

Previous Octo upgrade was 10/14/22 to 2022.3. Before this, the JSON column of the Artifact DB entries are like {"Source":null,"LogCorrelationId":null} but after the upgrade they are like {"Source":null,"LogCorrelationId":""}. We didn’t notice any errors however.

We upgraded again 3/30 to 2023.1 build 9767 and our entries are back to {"Source":null,"LogCorrelationId":null} but the empty string records from between the two upgrades are breaking deployment and release pages with a Tiny types should never be empty or whitespace. If the value you want to communicate is null/empty/whitespace then just pass a null rather than a tiny type wrapping it. error.

Hi @rjunruh,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to see you’re encountering this issue after your most recent upgrade. This doesn’t look familiar, strangely, so I’d like to attempt to reproduce this issue, which should be straight forward due to your helpful details from your troubleshooting. I’m spinning up some infrastructure now to give it a go.

My guess at this point is that it might require a SQL query to update all these empty string entries to be null. However, we try to avoid direct db changes whenever possible due to possible unexpected issues that can arise from doing so. If that is the only option, we strongly urge taking a backup of the database immediately before doing anything directly in it.

I’ll get back in touch, and please don’t hesitate to reach out in the meantime if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Kenny

Any updates on this? We ran the following to fix the error but is there anything related we should be aware of?

UPDATE [dbo].[Artifact]
SET [JSON] ='{"Source":null,"LogCorrelationId":null}'
WHERE JSON = '{"Source":null,"LogCorrelationId":""}'

Hi @rjunruh,

Thank you for following up, and my apologies for the lack of reply. This update command was exactly what I had in mind to fix this data, which also worked in my case with no issues. I can’t imagine this simple and straightforward update to this LogCorrelationId causing any issues anywhere.

I appreciate your update and confirmation. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please don’t hesitate to reach out!

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.