Upgrade tentacle from 3.0.12.2366

Hi,

When i am trying to upgrade my tentacle 3.0.12.2366 to 3.1.2 its show me that the tentacle is upgraded but in the summary it shows the tentacle version running as 3.0.12.2366
Please see the log below after upgradation

ONLINE:
20:23:25Info

And after this when i navigate back to Environment tab it tells me to upgrade my tentacle.

Please help me with the above issue.

Cheers!
Pratheesh

Hi Pratheesh,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please send us the full log of the Tentacle upgrade task? http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task

You should be able to find the task by going to Tasks and then filtering by task type “Upgrade”.

Thanks,

Dalmiro

​Hi Dalmiro,​

Please find attachment of the log.

Cheers!
Pratheesh

ServerTasks-1348.log.txt (21 KB)

Hi,

This false positive during upgrades seems to be related to this issue over here: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2023 . The problem seems to be when trying to upgrade a Tentacle whose service was configured to run with an account different from “Local System”.

The current workaround is to run the MSI locally on the Tentacle. Not very pleasant i know :/. Please keep yourself posted to that github issue for updates. I’ll let you know once we have a fix for this.

Regards,

Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

2 days back we had upgraded our Octopus server to 3.2.6 from 3.1.2.
Even with this version i am not able to upgrade my tentacle using environment tab of Octopus.
From the github issue tracker above i see that this issue was fixed in 3.1.6 version but dosent seems like working for us.
Our Tentacle is running on an AD account and system administrator confirmed that the user has permission to run MSIs files.
I have attached the error log in this discussion.
The error log says that we are missing some permission.

Please let us know if there is any other special permission missing which we need to provide to the AD user.

Thanks!
Pratheesh

ServerTasks-4655.log.txt (762 KB)

Do you have any update on my above issue.

Hi Pratheesh,

Are you able to log on to a Tentacle box using the same account that Tentacle is running as and install upgrade the Tentacle using msi?

Could you please check for any logs related to the failed Tentacle upgrade on the event log? You can try to upgrade from the Environment tab once again to trigger the error event logs.

Thanks,

Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

We tried adding few permissions to the AD users like admin privilege to start/stop the service but that didn’t help much though this time it didn’t upgrade saying a different issue.

We dont have RDP permissions to the AD user so we cannot try installing msi’s manually.

I have attached the latest log in this discussion.
Please help us out as we are not able to figure out a proper solution for this.

Cheers!
Pratheesh

ServerTasks-5148.log.txt (759 KB)

Hi Pratheesh,

I’ve discussed this with the dev that worked on this github issue and he confirmed that the only workaround for this would be RDP into the server with an admin account and install the MSI Manually. You might wanna contact your Domain Admins for this. This will be a once-only thing, as future versions will allow you to upgrade the Tentacles from the web portal.

Sorry for the trouble this caused you.

Best regards,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

I think this issue was fixed in release 3.1.6 as i see github issue tracker.
https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2023

Let me know if that’s not the case and do you have any ticket created to track this issue.

Thanks for you quick response.

Cheers!
Pratheesh

Hi Pratheesh,

Correct, that’s the github issue that fixes this bug. But in order for you to get that fix, you need to upgrade your Tentacle to any version above 3.1.5 (try to upgrade to the latest always), which is not possible because of this bug. To get out of this chicken-egg situation, you’re gonna have to manually install the latest version of the Tentacle by RPDing into the server. Once you do that, all future upgrades will work as expected (no need to RDP, just click a button from the web portal).

Regards,
Dalmiro