Upgrade Path

In reading https://octopus.com/docs/administration/upgrading/upgrading-from-octopus-3.x I am trying to understand the upgrade path from 3.3.24 to 2018.8.12. From reading other forum posts it looks like I will want to install the same version 3.3.24 on my new server then perform an in-place upgrade to 3.17.14 then to current? I am also trying to figure out if the tentacles that are currently installed will need to be updated. If I update the tentacles will they still communicate with 3.3.24 if I have to roll back?

Last question is can I join a new node running a higher version of Octopus?

Thank you for the help!
Dallas

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for getting in touch! We have recently been focusing a lot on our upgrade scripts, specifically upgrading from older version of Octopus. Currently a direct upgrade from 3.3.24 to the latest version of Octopus should not cause you any issues at all.

We still suggest taking a database backup and always having a copy of your master key handy. :slight_smile:

The Tentacle should also work fine at its current version, though we do suggest getting around to upgrading them eventually. Whilst we do not change the Tentacle often, you have a fairly large version gap here.

If you upgrade the Tentacles and need to roll back Octopus, there should not be any communications issues.

You mention joining a new node, which is running a higher version of Octopus. Would you be able to provide some further information about this?

Do you have a High Availability license and wish to add a Node of a different Octopus server version?

Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts here. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Daniel

I do not believe that I have a high availability license. With the information you provided I will be standing up a new server on my current version then upgrading all the way to the latest. I will hold off on upgrading the tentacles to make sure everything is fine before performing a full cutover and then upgrading tentacles to latest version. This will allow full testing before cutover and a fallback without modifications to the tentacles.

Thank you very much!
Dallas

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for the update! Let me know if you run into any issues here or have any further questions. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.