Upgrade All Tentacles task causing all tasks to be queued

Hi,
I ran into an issue today where someone manually triggered the UPGRADE ALL TENTACLES task in a particular space.
This then put all tasks into a queued state. We have a 3 node HA setup and the only task that was running was the UPGRADE ALL TEANTACLES task.
The task was taking along time to finish and we had alot of tasks in queued state so I had to cancel the task. This took over an hour to cancel and by the time it had cancelled there were 350+ tasks in the queue.
I have notified all our Octopus users not to run this task again and only upgrade the Tentacles one by one.

Is it possible to remove this button or only having it affect the particular space the task is triggered on?

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

Hi Micheál,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I’ve checked into this and it isn’t currently possible to remove the “Upgrade All Tentacles” button or limit it to a particular space. You might want to consider submitting it as a suggestion to our UserVoice at https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/.

It could be worth ensuring that there is a known process in place for keeping Tentacles up to date to discourage unplanned delays. It’s also likely that keeping the Tentacles up to date would mean that if anyone did trigger a bulk update it would have less to do and would finish quicker.

There is some great advice on the following knowledge base thread explaining the different approaches that can be taken for managing Tentacle upgrades:

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.