Updating Octopus Deploy Library Step Templates

Hi,

I was wondering how you update the step template that you get from https://library.octopusdeploy.com/#!/listing. In particular I am using https://library.octopusdeploy.com/#!/step-template/actiontemplate-iis-application-create. I was wondering if there is a better way to update this than having to manually go and change the step template myself?

I am using Octopus Deploy version 2.6.5.1010.

Thanks,

Jonathon

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately, right now the only way to do this is manually. We’re planning to change this process in the future to automate it a bit more and to be able to source control the templates. But we still don’t have a date for such feature.

Sorry for the crappy news.

Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

Thanks for the quick reply. No worries I will continue to update these manually. If you could update me when this functionality makes it’s way in that would be great.

Thanks,

Jonathon

Hi,

Just to add to that suggestion - it would be nice to have a way to test a a Step Template without having to update every process that involves that step and re-creating the release afterwards.

I added a few lines to the IIS AppPool - Restart template, saved it then updated 20 different steps and deleted and re-created my releases. I had accidentally added an extra character which caused an error, so I had to repeat the entire process again.

For example, if I could just batch update all those steps, then deploy the release with some sort of override to ignore the previous step templates and use the new ones, it would be a huge time saver for someone setting up from scratch.

Also, unless I’m missing it, it would be extremely convenient to be able to assign a Team permissions to a project group in addition to individual projects. I have Devs who need to create new projects, but I’d rather they didn’t have full permissions to create them in all groups.

Thanks,
Jason

Bumping this, has there been any progress? As Jason pointed out, having to re-create the release is extremely inconvenient. Needing to first update the step template, and then browsing to usage -> and updating the project, and then needing to update X releases is a long process which should have some automation around this.

I would imagine this could become frustrating if you made a typo for example. With that said, keep up the great work :slight_smile: Fantastic product.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for reaching out and for the kind words! This is somethings that we’ll eventually work on, but we don’t have a date for it yet. Check Michael’s comments about it on this github issue https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1947

Regards,

Dalmiro

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this is only relating to updating the step templates across projects - something octopygmy aka blue fin can assist with.The problem I am facing is that it does not update old releases. You must destroy the release, then recreate it.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S5 on the Telstra mobile network

Hi Matthew,

That’s correct. The fact that you cannot update the deployment process of old releases is as design, and not something we’re gonna change.

Regards