Update Process Step Name Breaks Version Rule

Hi team,

When I update the name of a step in deployment process, the same step doesn’t get updated in channel version rule.

Octopus Server version 2022.1 (Build 2894)

Steps to replicate:

1. Create/Find a project with at least two process steps. Step A and Step B
  2. Set both steps as Package Steps in a Channel version rule
  3. Save changes
  4. Go back to deployment process, delete Step A, rename Step B to Step A (It’s the Step name field)
  5. Save changes
  6. Refresh the project page or click anywhere within the project
  7. Error message “The resource ‘Name of Step B’ was not found” displays

Investigation:

• Looking at dbo.Channel table, found that version rule information is kept in a nvarchar(max) column called JSON
  • Updated the value in JSON column to reflect the new Step B name
  • Error went away

Can we have some kind of foreign key links version rule package step back to project process step to avoid this issue?

Regards,
Leonard

Hi @Leonard.Chu1,

Welcome to the Octopus Community, thanks for getting in touch!

Sorry to hear you’ve hit this issue, I really appreciate the investigation and detail you’ve provided though, that made it very easy to reproduce and figure out what was going on!

I’ve created a Github issue for this here (using your exact reproduction steps), which will be updated as the devs work on resolving this, possibly using your DB Key suggestion!

Thanks heaps for raising this with us, feel free to reach out anytime if you have any questions or ever run into any issues in future!

Best Regards,

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.