Uninstall Tentacle Certificate

When you uninstall the Tentacle application the tentacle certificate is not removed and therefore when the application is reinstalled it reuses the same certificate. I’ve tried removing the certificate manually through the certificates mmc snap in but it doesn’t show up under the computer account, removing it from my local account doesn’t seem to have any affect (tentacle reinstall still sees an existing certificate) and loading the certificate store under a system account prompts with a large number of possible system users and I don’t know which one (if any) I should use.

I want to remove the certificate because I want to take an image that is in the state described in the “Cloning Tentacle VMs” section in the installation documentation (http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Installing+Tentacles). Unfortunately I read this documentation after we installed tentacle on the machine we are taking the image from and I really don’t want to have to rebuild the image from scratch and I don’t have an image from before tentacle was installed.

I know I could get around this problem by calling “tentacle.exe new-certificate” but, for reasons not worth getting into here, that work around is less than ideal for our situation and we would like to be able to just remove the certificate and get tentacle back to that “pre-configured” state.

So, can anyone tell me how I can just remove the certificate so that the tentacle install will generate a new one when reinstalled?

This was originally a clean install of tentacle using the latest version at the time of this writing: 2.6.4.951.

Hi Brett,

Thanks for reaching out. To force the tentacle to generate a new certificate when installed, delete the tentacle.config file (on a regular install “C:\Octopus\Tentacle\Tentacle.config”). Even though after doing this and uninstalling the tentacle, there’ll still be a certificate on the windows cert store, when you re-install the tentacle it’ll just create a new one because it couldnt find the Tentacle.config file.

Thanks!

Dalmiro.