Unhandled error when handling request from client

Hi there,

I am seeing the following error in the OctopusTentacle log about once every hour:

2016-06-22 03:06:03.2138 44 INFO listen://[::]:10933/ 44 Unhandled error when handling request from client: [::1]:56538
System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartFrameHeader(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartReading(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security._SslStream.ProcessRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer()
at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadLine()
at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeStream.ReadLine() in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeStream.cs:line 93
at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeStream.ExpectNextOrEnd() in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeStream.cs:line 67
at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeProtocol.ProcessClientRequests(Func2 incomingRequestProcessor) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeProtocol.cs:line 110 at Halibut.Transport.Protocol.MessageExchangeProtocol.ExchangeAsServer(Func2 incomingRequestProcessor, Func`2 pendingRequests) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\Protocol\MessageExchangeProtocol.cs:line 95
at Halibut.HalibutRuntime.ListenerHandler(MessageExchangeProtocol obj) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\HalibutRuntime.cs:line 70
at Halibut.Transport.SecureListener.ExchangeMessages(SslStream stream) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\SecureListener.cs:line 196
at Halibut.Transport.SecureListener.ExecuteRequest(TcpClient client) in y:\work\7ab39c94136bc5c6\source\Halibut\Transport\SecureListener.cs:line 126

OctopusServer and OctopusTentacle are installed on the same server.

Deployments were working file but then stopped deploying at some point in time. I had to to restart both services to get the deployment running again. Not sure if the problem is related to the error above.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. That error only seems to indicate that the server lost connection to the Tentacle.

Is this happening only in that Tentacle? I mean the errors in the logs + the failed deployment.

If possible, the next time you get a failing deployment could you send us:

Thanks!
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

There are two issues here but not sure if they are related.

1. The error messages are coming out of the Tentacle only. I have attached the logs from this morning. No deployments have been run in this time.

2. Deployment doesn’t start from the server, just says it waiting to start. Therefore there are no task logs as it doesn’t run.

OctopusTentacle.txt (26 KB)

OctopusServer.txt (3 KB)

Hi Stephen,

1. Could you try adding the config setting proposed in this ticket http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/43011-error-during-acquire-packages and see if that sorts your connection issues.

2. What do you see from the Web portal when you try to start the deployment?

Are the Tentacle and Server running on the same machine?

Regards,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

The tentacle and server are running on the same machine.
I have applied the config changes so I’ll see how it goes.

Thanks,
Stephen