Underscore in release names

Hi,

I’m trying to create releases with names that are easily identifiable at a quick glance. So, to that end, I’ve added a suffix to the the traditional release name. E.g., if the release name/number would normally be “2.1”, then i would have my build from Team Services created a release called “2.1-[MyBuildName].[MyBranchName]”, resulting in something like “2.1-CI-Build.New-Feature-Branch”. So far so good.

The problem is that if my Build Name or Branch Name has underscores, then Octopus barks that the “release number does not appear to be a valid semantic version number”. Is this known/expected behavior? I don’t see why underscore should be a problem here, while dashes are fine. What can I do to get past this?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch. The error you are experiencing when you use the underscores in your release numbers, is due to the semver validation we apply on release numbers. Underscores do not satisfy the conditions under Semantic Versioning to be allowed to continue.

To avoid this from happening, you will need to ensure the release numbers comply with the Semantic Versioning conditions: Identifiers MUST comprise only ASCII alphanumerics and hyphen [0-9A-Za-z-].

The following link has great information and will assist you with your naming convention. http://semver.org/#spec-item-9

Please do not hesitate to reach out for any further information.

Best Regards,
Nael

Understood, thanks for response

Hi Jafar,

No worries, let me know if you have any further questions or run into any issues here. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel