"Undefined Environment" in Jira Integration

Recently, our Jira cloud instance has been showing the Environment of Releases associated with Issues as Undefined environment.

20200818_jira_release_undefined_environment_01

Even though, the details of the Deployments have a somewhat “reasonable” name for the environment.

To the best of my knowledge, Jira currently displays Undefined environment for both Test and Prod values.

We have been using the Octopus Deploy integration with Jira for over a year now, and this only started to occur recently. Unfortunately, I can’t put my finger on a date when it started occurring; so I can’t pinpoint either the timeframe of the change or if we did an upgrade around that time. My gut feeling is that the environment was displaying correctly in Jira until about two months ago, say June 15th, 2020.

I did some google searching to see if others are having this same problem and ran across a stackoverflow post that looked similar: JIRA Azure DevOps iteration not showing work item in Azure DevOps

The stackoverflow posts response seemed to indicate that AzureDevOps / Octopus Deploy wasn’t on the officially supported list of deployment servers.

But, that shouldn’t matter; Octopus Deploy has done great work on integrating with Jira for a while now.

So, I started thinking that maybe Jira/Atlassian changed their API on how Deployment Data is submitted. Nothing about the API looked too crazy to me, but one field did stand out, the Environment > type field:

• From the main page, under deployments [required], click on Array<DeploymentData>
  • In the pop-up, scroll down and click on Environment
  • At the bottom you can see type.

My theories are that either:

(a) Octopus Deploy isn’t setting the Environment > type value correctly when sending data to Atlassian,
(b) or, Atlassian isn’t interpreting those values correctly and displaying them as expected.

I was wondering if you happened to know if either of those two hypothesis are accurate? (especially the first one)

We are currently using on-premise Octopus Deploy 2020.3.2.

Thanks

Hey @steven.maglio,

First of all, welcome to the Octopus Forums!

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you please verify that the Jira environments are still mapped to your Octopus environments? You do this by going to your environments within Infrastructure in the Octopus portal, click the overflow next to the environment and click Edit. Once you’ve done that, please verify the Jira environment is correctly assigned to the one you want it to be related to in your Jira instance.

Please let me know if the results are as expected or if they are unmapped.

Thanks,
Jeremy

1 Like

Thank You!!

Sorry for not seeing this!

Hey @steven.maglio,

You’re very welcome. No worries! Thanks for letting me know it’s resolved.

I hope you have a great rest of your week.

Sincerely,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.