Unable to start OctopusDeploy Service on Local Computer

Hello Community,

Can someone give me some idea why the OctopusService suddenly dies on my Local machine in the middle of building deployment steps? And when I try to restart the service, I get the message ‘Access Denied’

Cheers

Carlton

Hi Community,

When I attempt to start Octopus Deploy service from Octopus Manager, I get the following error:

Error: Exception calling command: “C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe” service --instance “OctopusServer” --start
System.Exception: Error when attempting to execute C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe: Access is denied —> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Access is denied
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at Octopus.Shared.Util.SilentProcessRunner.ExecuteCommand(String executable, String arguments, String workingDirectory, Action1 debug, Action1 info, Action1 error, NetworkCredential runAs, IDictionary2 customEnvironmentVariables, CancellationToken cancel)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at Octopus.Shared.Util.SilentProcessRunner.ExecuteCommand(String executable, String arguments, String workingDirectory, Action1 debug, Action1 info, Action1 error, NetworkCredential runAs, IDictionary2 customEnvironmentVariables, CancellationToken cancel)
at Octopus.Shared.Util.CommandLineRunner.Execute(CommandLineInvocation invocation, Action1 debug, Action1 info, Action1 error, Action2 exception)

I have attached the logfile.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

CheersOctopusServer.0.txt (7.1 KB)

Hi Community,

While waiting for someone to assist me with this issue, I checked out the following site:

https://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/32405-try-to-start-octopus-manager-but-got-this-octopus-prerequisites-window-that-pops-up

I carried out the suggestions in this step, but now whenever I try to run Octopus Manager it trys to install a whole new server. Also, whenever I start OctopusDeploy services it shuts down with two seconds.

I really hope I don’t have to re-install Octopus Deploy server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Carlton, Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you are seeing issues starting the Octopus Service. I’m interested to know if you’re noticing anything odd appear in the Windows Event viewer? Sometimes we can see possible issues on the server that may prevent the Octopus Server from starting.

I’m also interested to know which account is running your Octopus Server in the services console and if it has the required permissions.

It’s odd that the Octopus Server Manager tries to install a new server instance here. Could I please see a screenshot of what you are seeing in the Octopus Server Manager?

If possible, could you please list each step you took from the help discussion which you linked here? My understanding is that you reviewed the environment variables for PowerShell?

Did you happen to take a copy of the Octopus Master Key at any time in the past?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,
Lawrence.

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for reaching out.

The following is the log from the event viewer:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Hi Carlton,
Thanks for sending through the details, I was able to see your screenshot of Octopus Manager, unfortunately I was unable to see any details of the Application error log in Window.

Could I please see the error from your Windows Event viewer if possible?

Kind regards,
Lawrence.