Unable to start Octopus Server Manager

When attempting to start Octopus Manager (version 2020.1.12.0) I get the following error:

Description: A .NET Core application failed.
Application: Octopus.Manager.Server.exe
Path: C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Manager.Server.exe
Message: The application to execute does not exist: 'C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\.net\Octopus.Manager.Server\j43ftxkj.mmw\Octopus.Manager.Server.dll'.

I’ve checked and the assembly is in this location. I’ve tried clearing out the temporary folder and allowing it to be rebuilt following a restart of the machine.

I did a repair of the installation by running the installer again and restarted the server with the same issue.

It may relate to https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/3778 where temp files are cleared up.

Only after several clean-ups of the temp directory and restarts was I finally able to get Octopus Manager to launch successfully.

Best Regards,
Blair.

Hi Blair,

Yes you’re right, it is an issue with NetCore and single-file executables.

Microsoft has fixed this bug recently (not yet released), so we will be able to fix this permanent once Microsoft releases the new version of NetCore 3.1.

The .net documentation​ here explains how the extraction location is determined. You can override this in the meantime by setting the DOTNET_BUNDLE_EXTRACT_BASE_DIR environment variable to somewhere else.

Cheers,
Frank

Hi Blair,

Microsoft has fixed the underlying issue recently (not yet released), so we will be able to fix this permanent once they releases the new version of NetCore 3.1.

Cheers,
Frank

Hi @Blair_Paine

​Just a quick note to let you know that we’ve released version 7.3.7 of OctopusCLI which has been rebuilt using the latest version of .NET Core, and the issue has been resolved.

Happy deployments!

​Regards,
​Matt

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.