Unable to parse sensitive-variables as valid JSON

Hi,

We upgraded to Octopus 3.11.13 yesterday and have found an issue with our SSH deploy projects. When deploying a package it fails with ‘Unable to parse sensitive-variables as valid JSON.’.

We’ve tried upgrading to 3.11.14 as well as turning off json config substitution however nothing has worked.

Nothing has changed in your project steps or variables.

Hi John,

Sorry about that. A fix will be out shortly: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3335

Downgrading to 3.11.11 in the meantime should fix the issue.

Cheers
Shane

Thanks for the update Shane.

Any ETA on this being released?

Hi John,

We just released 3.11.15 which contains the fix for this issue. Thanks for the patience.

Cheers,
Shane

Had this version running for the past few days and works great.

Thanks Shane

I am actually running across the same issue when using an offline package drop with sensitive variables. I am getting the “unable to parse sensitive-variables as valid json” message, and I am never being prompted for a password. Running Octopus 3.12.4, and it looks like Calamari version 3.7.51 from the offline package drop.

Thanks,
Eben

I think I figured out the problem I was running across. It wouldn’t let me deploy the offline packages (from octopus) without putting a password on the deployment target (saying that I had sensitive variables… but I didn’t). Putting a password on the deployment target should have prompted me for that password when we ran the commands on the machine (but it didn’t). What I figured out is that even though I didn’t have sensitive variables, there is one sensitive field in the process that I was using a non-sensitive variable to populate. I think that confused the process somehow.

TLDR;
I marked the variables that go into the process as sensitive parameters as sensitive, so now it actually prompts me for a password, and all is well.

Thanks,
Eben

Hi Eben,

Thanks for letting us know how you resolved the problem. I’ll see what we can do to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Cheers,
Shane