Unable to mark task ServerTasks-28770 as complete: The incoming request has too many parameters. The server supports a maximum of 2100 parameters

Using Octopus 3.0 I’m getting the maximum 2100 parameters error coming from .NET. (first few lines reproduced below)

Now I’ve googled etc. and found that this is fixed in 3.2, unfortunately we cannot currently upgrade to 3.2 due to a couple of tentacles running on old Win 2003 boxes. Setting Retention Policies hasn’t helped.

It’s been suggest internally we use SQL Profiler to see exactly whats going on and try to manually prune the relevant old Releases/Projects/ServerTasks (hopefully the profile would highlight this) but I would prefer at an “official” solution if possible.

So I suppose the question is; Is there a way to solve the 2100 parameter limit problem WITHOUT upgrading to 3.2?

First Few Lines Of Error

00:31:51 Verbose | Guided failure is not enabled for this task
00:32:20 Info | The deployment completed successfully.
00:32:21 Error | Unable to mark task ServerTasks-28770 as complete: The incoming request has too many parameters. The server supports a maximum of 2100 parameters. Reduce the number of parameters and resend the request.
| The incoming request has too many parameters. The server supports a maximum of 2100 parameters. Reduce the number of parameters and resend the request.
| System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): The incoming request has too many parameters. The server supports a maximum of 2100 parameters. Reduce the number of parameters and resend the request.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch! So you can upgrade to 3.2 and leave your win 2003 boxes on 3.0 Tentacles. You simply don’t upgrade them via the environments page. But a 3.1+ Octopus Server can still have Tentacles on 3.0.x without issue, and Calamari (the part that runs the deployment on the Tentacle) can run on .NET 4.0.

If someone accidentally upgrades those Tentacles via the environments page, you can just reinstall the 3.0.x version of Tentacle on those servers. The installer doesn’t try to force a .NET upgrade or anything. We specifically made sure that those who would have to keep 3.0.x Tentacles would still be able to upgrade their OD server version.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa