Unable to install ASP. Net Rest API service with deploy-release

Hi,

I am using Octopus deploy to create deployment architecture on test, staging and production environments for ASP .Net web application, Rest API and other services.

• Create .Nupkg file
  • Push file
  • Create release
  • Deploy release

When I use the deploy-release command it deploys on the specified server correctly but with extra files and folders and missing bin folder. Basically it copies all the folder in the project.

When I deploy my application using the msdeploy.exe command it creates the following folder structure with bare minimum files required to run the application.

• bin -folder
  • Global.asax
  • packages.config
  • Web.config

How I can achieve the same using Octopus deploy?

Does octopus copies files and folders on the destination instead of installing the service or application?

Kindly help.

Best regards,
Manmath

Hi Manmath,

Thanks for getting in touch! I suspect this comes down to the packaging of your services. By default with Octo.exe it’ll package everything within the folder, and doesn’t have any logic to only grab the bare minimum. How are you packaging these services?

Would an option be to use OctoPack to build your packages? Quoting the following doc page, OctoPack understands .NET applications and uses that knowledge to build the right kind of package for each kind of .NET application and may be more suited to what you’re looking for.

I hope this helps! Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions or concerns along the way. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.