Unable to deploy dnx web app to Azure

I have a dnx web app which is packed correctly with a \wwwroot folder and an \approot folder, which only needs to be sync’d into the \site folder on an Azure web site using the deploy to azure built-in step. No matter what I try, these two folders get copied into \site\wwwroot. I’ve tried to get cute with … and …\ and \site, none of which work. Is there a workaround (that doesn’t involve an external ftp utility and powershell)?

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Unfortunately there’s no superduper happy path to deploying ASP.NET5 sites with Octopus yet, there are a few hoops that needs jumping through.

I’ve put together a quick draft of the process we’ve used for a couple of internal projects that are written in ASP.NET5 here that could possibly help steer you in the right direction to deploying your ASP.NET5 projects with Octopus.

Hope that helps!

Henrik

Any update on this?

Using the build step Deploy an Azure Web App, I almost succeed. The only problem is with the path. As far as I see it, the possibility to deploy a .zip to the / (or /site) folder would pretty much solve the problem. Is there anyway I can modify the included build step to use an absolute path?

Using .. as my path, I end up with this exception
Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentException: (3/30/2016 6:41:37 PM) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer. ---> Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentClientServerException: An error was encountered when processing operation 'Create Directory' on 'D:\home\site\wwwroot\..\approot'. ---> Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentException: The error code was 0x800700A1. ---> System.IO.IOException: The specified path is invalid.

Hi Magnus,

We currently use WebDeploy 3.5 behind the Azure Web App step, and this does not support deploying files to folders outside of wwwroot unfortunately. We have an issue to update to WebDeploy 3.6 which does support deploying ASP.NET 5/Core 1 style apps that needs to put files in the site root folder.

I’m sorry we don’t have a better solution for the next version of ASP.NET yet, but we’re working on it but we’re in a bit of a holding pattern at the moment as the ASP.NET team sorts out the move to dotnet cli etc in RC2.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik