Trying to delete release but resource is not found

Hi,

I’ve changed my deployment process to use a different release numbering system and the old version is being picked up as the current version because the number is simply higher. I’d like to delete these old releases so they don’t get chosen and whilst most of them have been deleted, I have a number of them that won’t show the release details page.

If I go to the releases page of the project and click on one of the releases then I just get a red banner saying:

The resource ‘e8d2415b-0102-41cc-bfa2-8cf32ccc8aab’ was not found.

I think some of my database records may have become orphaned somehow.

Thanks.

Hi @Ando,

Thanks for reaching out!

It looks as though you’re right, and some of the links between data have become corrupt or missing.
There’s a couple of ways that we can go about troubleshooting this, depending on your preference.

A quick question before I continue, have you updated Octopus recently, by any chance?
We’ve noticed some of these issues appearing after an upgrade from an older version to the latest, and I just wanted to see if this was the cause.

You mention you’re looking to delete the Release. When you click on the Release inside the project overview, does the URL reveal the Releases-ID in question?

If it does, you could maybe use an API DELETE request to remove this Release safely.
Sometimes, the API DELETE request will fail due to the same issue that you’re experiencing now, but it can be a quick fix a lot of times. Should this method fail, we can proceed with a different one.

You can find the ID for the Release, either through looking at the URL when you open the Release or by navigating to the API location of the Projects Releases and use CTRL+F to find the Release via version:
https://OctopusServer/api/Spaces-ID/projects/Projects-ID/releases
Replace the Spaces-ID with the correct Space and fill in Projects-ID with the project experiencing issues.

Once you find the Release-ID, you can use the following PowerShell code to delete it:

$ErrorActionPreference = "Stop";
$octopusURL = "https://youroctourl"
$octopusAPIKey = "API-YOURAPIKEY"
$header = @{ "X-Octopus-ApiKey" = $octopusAPIKey }
$release = "Releases-ID"
$space = "Spaces-ID"

Invoke-RestMethod -Method Delete -Uri "$octopusURL/api/$($space)/releases/$($release)" -Headers $header

Be sure to fill in your API Key, Octopus URL, Releases-ID and Spaces-ID.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you’re able to remove the Release via this method.
Should you run into any errors, get back in touch, and I’ll do my best to assist further.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Hi Adam,

That’s worked perfectly, thanks!

Andrew

1 Like

Hi @Ando,

That’s great to hear, thanks for letting me know!

Should you have any further issues or have any questions, feel free to reach out again here or send an e-mail to our support team: support@octopus.com.

Kind Regards,
Adam