Trying out new build system TFS2015 -- some questions and clarificatons

Hi all,

We just upgraded to tfs 2015 on premises and I’m playing with the new build options. I got a few question and I do need some confirmations so I understand correctly what is happening.

resources:
I pulled OctoTfs from https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/OctoTFS, and installed it on Tfs (does show up under \tasks in my agent)

What did I do:
a. Made a new build defintion
c. added : Msbuild step

tested it … works no errors

d. Added “Create Octopus Release”

tested it works no errors;

Ok now the question:

1. I do still need “/p:RunOctoPack=true /p:OctoPackPublishPackageToHttp … etc” in my MSBuild Argument to have the packages actually been pushed to octoups (the Create Octopus Release, does nothing for that)

2. I need to disable “automatic release creation” else I have 2 releases triggered (one from octopack and one from create octo release? That is correct yes?

I run into one problem:
The totally great feature is of course being able to add the comments + works items.

But:
When i check them. I do get a:

Executing the powershell script: D:\Agent\tasks\OctopusCreateRelease\0.1.2\Octopus-CreateRelease.ps1
The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

I presume this is coming from tfs, which disallows the build user, which is rather curious because the build account can get all the files.

Any pointers in what to do about this?

Thanks!
–jw

Hi JW,

That’s great that you’re trying out the new TFS integrations.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes.
  2. Yes.

Regarding your 401 error, given your follow up email, am I correct to assume you got this working?

Regards,
Michael R

Hi Michael,

Thanks for answering my 2 question.

Regarding my problem:

Executing the powershell script: D:\Agent\tasks\OctopusCreateRelease\0.1.2\Octopus-CreateRelease.ps1
The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
This is still a problem. The build fails on this one, but the package is being release to octopus including with a backlink note to the tfs. De release notes/ work items are not filled in. More troublesome is that I have a failed build.

Any help would be appreciated. I have checked that the build user is being able to access the tfs website with the specific project.

JW,

You’re not only person to report authorization issues. My colleague, Damian Brady, who created the TFS custom-build-step is currently communicating with Microsoft regarding them.

We’ll keep you posted on the outcome. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Michael R

Ok thx

Closing ticket - duplicate of http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/37367-octotfs-gives-me-an-error-when-retrieving-changeschecin-notes