Timeout expired obtaining connection from pool while acquiring packages

Using v2021.3 (Build 8275)

We’re experiencing the following error in the Package Acquisition phase:

The step failed: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

We are deploying a single project that deploys one package. We targeted 5 deployment targets with about 50 tenants total. We’ve not set any special parallelism settings. Task Cap is set rather high at 50, but deploying to only 5 deployment targets, I wouldn’t think it matters.

  1. What would cause package acquisition to fail with this error?

  2. Online documentation Performance - Octopus Deploy
    suggests increasing Max Pool Size in Octopus.Server.config but I’m not seeing that on the server. I only see OctopusServer.config and an Octopus.Server.exe.config.
    Is the correct file OctopusServer.config?

Thanks.

Jamie

Hi @jamie.sidoti,

Thanks for reaching out and I’m sorry you’re having issues with your deployment.

In order for us to answer your first question a bit more precisely, it would be helpful to get your Octopus Server logs and a copy of your Configuration > Diagnostics > System Integrity check. I’ve created a secure upload link for you here if you wouldn’t mind sending those over.

Both of these should give us a bit more information on why the connection pool is being exhausted outside of the generic scenarios on the documentation you linked.

For the second question, it does look like we have a typo in the documentation! Thanks for bringing that to our attention - it should read OctopusServer.config. We’ll get that fixed up ASAP.

Please let us know if you end up increasing your pool size and if that resolves anything for you. Looking forward to hearing back.

Regards,
Garrett

Thanks Garrett. I uploaded files using the link supplied. Just wanted to make sure you got them.

1 Like

Hi @jamie.sidoti,

Thanks for letting me know about the uploads and I apologize for the delay on this. I’m going over the log now but not seeing anything particularly telling.

Were you able to increase Max Pool Size to see if this helped with the issue or are you still blocked?

Regards,
Garrett

No problem…
Yes we did increase the Max Pool Size but have not yet had the opportunity to see if it makes a difference in our Production deployments. When we experienced the issue on the last deployment we just re-ran against the failed tenants and they completed without issue.

Hi @jamie.sidoti,

I understand and thanks for letting us know. There could have been a hiccup with the resources on the either the Octopus or SQL Server as suggested by the Connection pool timeout troubleshooting here. If you do run into a state that this issue is repeatable a performance trace would be a good next step in the investigation.

Sorry we didn’t find anything concrete but please let us know if you continue to have issues.

Regards,
Garrett