There are no steps to run when deploying releases

We were deploy without any issue till yesterday but when I tried to deploy yesterday I’m facing an weird issue. “There are no steps to run when deploying releases of v31Deployment in the Default channel to the clouddev2.domain.net environment. This can happen if your deployment process is empty, or review the filters applied to the steps in your deployment process. Once you have corrected these problems you can try again. If the problem is related to a variable you will need to update the variables for this release or recreate the release for the changes to take effect. If the problem is related to the deployment process you will need to create a new release for the changes to take effect.

We have one step in Process which is enabled. Following the screenshot of Step in Process

Can you please help me?

Hi Qasim,

Thanks for getting in touch! It looks like you’ve configured this step to only run when deploying to tenants that exist in one of those tags (cloudev2, cloudweb-2, etc.), so I suspect it may come down to the deployment being attempted for another tenant that doesn’t exist in one of those tags, or you’re attempting an untenanted deployment. Untenanted deployments won’t execute steps that are configured to only run for those specified tenants. Is that the case for you?

If that doesn’t match your scenario, can you provide some additional information on your setup to help me replicate this issue?

• Your current Octopus server version
  • A screenshot of your deployment page where you’re hitting this error (also showing the environment/tenant etc. you’re deploying to)

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Thanks Kenny, I’m trying to Deploy on clouddev2.utix.net environment and tenants with tag cloudev2 (these are configured in Process’s Step you can see in previous screenshot) which was working fine couple of days ago. I’m not sure whats wrong now. Following is screenshot of “Deploy Release” page.

Octopus Server Version is : 2018.10.5 LTS

Hi Qasim,

Thanks for following up and providing that extra bit of information. The scoping of your step in regards to tenant tags/environments looks correct for it to run on this deployment. One additional thing to confirm is the channel this release was created it. Your step is scoped to the Default channel so deployments of releases that exist in any other channel won’t run this step. Can you confirm which channel this release exists in?

If the channel-scoping of the step is what’s causing this in your scenario, you can change the scoping of the step to allow it to run in other channels. Keep in mind that doing so requires a new release to be created to apply the change.

I hope this helps narrow down the issue. Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I can confirm that release is created with “Default” channel. But still showing 0 steps to run.

We were deploying with same configuration for couple of weeks, unable to understand what is happening now. Everything is exact same but now release shows 0 steps to run.
Can you suggest any other configuration that may caused this issue? We really need to solve this issue now.

Hi Qasim,

Thanks for following up and confirming that. This indeed feels like the incorrect behavior based on the information you’ve provided so far. And it’s doubly puzzling since it was working previously. Did you by chance upgrade in between when it was working and when it stopped working (and if so which version did you upgrade from)?

Unfortunately I haven’t yet been able to replicate this issue, however. To ensure my attempts at replicating this match your setup exactly, can you also send me a screenshot showing the Default channel configuration (to see the tenants that releases in that channel apply to), and also the configuration of one of your targets that you’re intending on deploying to here? I’d like to see if there’s some unexpected mismatch here and do some further testing.

I appreciate your patience, and I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Please check the configurations of deployment target and Default channel.

We have not upgraded Octopus

Hi Qasim,

Thanks for following up and providing that extra bit of information. Your configuration looks perfect for this step to be included on a deployment to tenants in the cloudev2 tag. My more accurate testing in your specific version works as it should, so this is honestly kind of stumping me at the moment.

Can you confirm if this same behavior occurs after creating a new release of this project and attempting to deploy it to the same environment/tenant combination?

Are you able to easily replicate this by adding an additional dummy step to your project’s process that’s scoped in the same way? (This would require you to make a create a new release to apply the change).

I look forward to hearing back.

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Luckily, our system admin able to fix the issue. I’m not sure what exactly he did but I think he made some changes in tenants configurations.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Qasim

Hi Qasim,

That’s great to hear this issue has been fixed. Thanks for letting me know! If there’s anything else I can assist with, please don’t hesitate to reach out. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.