The remote machine was expected to supply a certificate with thumbprint: x; instead the machine provided: y

Im getting this exception:

Pipefish.Errors.PipefishCommunicationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.
at Microsoft.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at Microsoft.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccess(Task task)
at Octopus.Server.Communications.Handshaking.BackgroundPassiveTentacleSquidFinder.d__a.MoveNext() in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Server\Communications\Handshaking\BackgroundPassiveTentacleSquidFinder.cs:line 96
Pipefish.PipefishException: We aborted the connection because the remote host was not authenticated. The remote machine was expected to supply a certificate with thumbprint: x; instead the machine provided: y. —> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, Exception exception)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Client.SecureTcpClient.Send(SecureTcpRequest request) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Client\SecureTcpClient.cs:line 59
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Client.SecureTcpClient.Send(SecureTcpRequest request) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Client\SecureTcpClient.cs:line 112
at Octopus.Server.Communications.Handshaking.PassiveTentacleHandshaker.Receive(PassiveTentacleHandshakeRequest message) in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Server\Communications\Handshaking\PassiveTentacleHandshaker.cs:line 56
at Pipefish.Actor.OnReceivingTyped[TBody](Message message) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish\Actor.cs:line 113

My tentacle thumbprint is really x and my tentacle server is supplying x not y.
I have no idea where the thumbprint: y comes from.

thankfull for any help!

Hi Mathias,

Thanks for getting in touch! As a clean and easy way to solve this, i would recommend doing one of the following:

1. Restart your tentacle service. Open the Tentacle Manager and click on restart. Once this is done try to deploy to that machine again.

2. If (1) doesnt work, try deleting the tentacle instance from your tentacle and then re-installing the instance. Once this is done you’ll have to register your server in Octopus again. On the link below, all the way to the bottom, there is a section that shows how to delete a tentacle instance. Once that is done you’ll be automatically prompted to create a new instance:

If none of those options work, there is a 3rd one that involves a more complicated troubleshooting. But i’m positive one of those 2 will solve your issue

Hope that helps and please let us know if this worked for you :slight_smile:

dalmiro

Hi, I’m having this exact same issue, I’ve tried options one and two. could you please provide me with option three?

Hi HArlan,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you try deleting the machine in Octopus Environment -> Machine -> Delete and re registering it using “discover” ?

Let me know how that goes

Dalmiro

I searched the registry for the key, found two entries deleted the one and it worked! Thanks,

harlan