Testing Feature Branches

We have a node/npm application that mashes GitHub, TeamCity, OD, and EC2 in such a way that PRs and feature branches get built and deployed into a disposable EC2 instance.

I’m interested in the transient environment support for this, but I haven’t looked at it yet. Your blog post states that we should reach out to you directly about it. So here I am.

I have a chef script where I can spin up another OD server for 3.4 testing if need be.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. We released Beta 2 a couple of days ago. You should be good to go to test that version on a clean server: https://octopus.com/blog/octopus-deploy-3.4-eap-beta2

If you run into any issues, contact us then and we’ll give you a hand.

Thanks,
Dalmiro

Is there an example you would want me to follow? I get the machine policy stuff (yay), but I’m unsure if there’s anything else I should be looking at.

Blue Skies,
Ritch

FWIW,
This is what is in the post and why I reached out:

We have made it possible to use auto-deployments for brand new environments
without any existing deployments, which enables you to create test
environments on-the-fly. This is really useful for testing feature
branches. Reach out to us directly
https://octopus.com/blog/octopus-deploy-3.4-eap-beta2#feedback if you
would like help configuring and testing this kind of scenario.

Blue Skies,
Ritch

Hi Ritch,

The general idea is: Test it using our current docs and the latest beta and let us know your thoughts. Were the docs enough to get you started? Did the feature work like you expected?

I’m not sure why it was phrased like that in our blogpost. I’ve reached its author asking about it to make sure I’m (well, we) not missing anything.

Thanks,
Dalmiro

I thought it was kind of odd too. Let me know what you find out.

Blue Skies,
Ritch

Notice:

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. If you encounter the same or a similar issue and require help, please open a new discussion (if we asked for logs or extra details in this thread, consider including them in the new thread). If you are the creator of this thread and believe it should not be closed let us know via our support email.