Tentacle works but eventlog full of errors

One of our tentacles on an Azure VM is writing an error to the eventlog every 10 seconds…

ERROR Unhandled error when processing request from client System.IO.IOException: Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream. at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest) at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest) at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest) at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult) at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Server.SecureTcpServer.ExecuteRequest(TcpClient client) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Server\SecureTcpServer.cs:line 111

Both tentacle and server are 2.3.
The VM has endpoint ACLs configured to only allow the server to connect to it on the tentacle port. The server hosting octopus deploy was a fresh install so it has never had an older version of octopus deploy on it,
The tentacle previously had a 1.6 tentacle installed but this was removed prior to installing the 2.3 tentacle.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this ?

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I should also mention that the tentacle is working fine and the health checks return success. The eventlog errors are just noise we could do without

Hi Greg,

Thanks for reporting this issue!

I have created an issue on GitHub which you can track here:

While there could be any number of things causing this (such as port scanners or health checkers on that port), you could try using the following tool:

to try to pinpoint what is accessing the Tentacle.

Hope this helps!

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

I’ve tracked down the issue, the Octopus tentacle endpoint was misconfigured in Azure- It was mistakenly set to be a load balanced port. Switching this off fixed the issue.

Thanks for your assistance and keep up the great work! Octopus is awesome. :slight_smile:

Regards
Greg Biellenan