Tentacle version packaged with server version?

Is there somewhere we can look to see what tentacle version was packaged with a given server version?

The reason I ask is because we have 211 targets in our environment and it would be a giant pain to push a tentacle upgrade manually. It would be easiest to push it to selected or all targets through the Octopus server UI (which is what I just did for the most recent upgrade to the server and with only 3 exceptions it worked great) and it would be great if we could download and tell the server to use a specific tentacle package (or have a selection of tentacle versions that it would download itself when selected).

Just trying to figure out the easiest way to manage this system and all of the tentacles we have without having to jump through too many hoops.

Hi @christopher.metzger!

Thanks for reaching out, and for the great question!

Sadly there isn’t an easy way to determine the bundled Tentacle version with a particular release of Octopus Server. While this version is usually a little behind the version available for download on the website/chocolatey (they’re continuously delivered, while the version bundled with an Octopus release is generally pinned when that release is branched off our main branch), this version is generally “as good as you need” to make use of all the features of that Octopus release. That being said, sometimes there’s a bugfix or improvement that is released in the meantime, which can be desirable - many of our users work around this by managing this with choco, or automating the install with a msiexec on the MSI, as referenced here: Automating Tentacle installation - Octopus Deploy

I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to let me know!

Thanks. Was hoping it wasn’t going to be a “work around” which is a hoop to jump through. Will have to figure out something then.

Hopefully that can be a feature added in the future - being able to pull in the latest tentacle version to the Octopus server and then make the choice to deploy it directly from the UI to all clients listed (for example). Would certainly make life a lot easier to be able to manage all of the application’s components from the application itself and not have to figure out other methods.

Thanks for getting back to me @christopher.metzger, and I do agree that it would make a helpful feature for keeping your tentacle fleet up-to-date with the current release. I’ll circle this feedback through to our team, and if you have the time and inclination, feel free to add it to our UserVoice site, where we collate feature requests, and the community can vote on ideas to raise their visibility.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.