Tentacle to run on synology NAS

I am trying obtain any information to run a Tentacle on a Synology NAS to manage deployment to the local docker environment.

I have installed successfully on Ubuntu / Debian based servers with out any issues in the past using:

sudo apt-key adv --fetch-keys https://apt.octopus.com/public.key
sudo add-apt-repository “deb https://apt.octopus.com/ stretch main”
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tentacle
/opt/octopus/tentacle/configure-tentacle.sh

Due to the linux distro these command are not available.

Any advice would be great.

Hey Craig,

Thanks for reaching out. That seems like a neat project. After a bit of research, it seems like Synology’s Linux OS is a very customized version. Unfortunately, we don’t have any experience setting up tentacle on Synology, and even if you are able to manage to get it going, I can’t guarantee it won’t have any issues as it’s not something we test against or account for.

However, I do have two suggestions that may get this going for you one way or another. I’ve never tried either but both seem promising.

1. Create an SSH Target(rather than use the tentacle binary/executable) on the Synology NAS and attempt to use that to manage your docker containers. This may also run into other issues due to the ones you’re running into trying to install tentacle it self, but it’s a low effort thing you can try.

2. Jump through some hoops and set up your docker so that docker containers can manage other docker containers. If you can get this working on your NAS, you can boot up a Tentacle container and have that manage your other containers. I found this stackoverflow that might be helpful: multi tenant - Can a Docker container manage other Docker containers? - Stack Overflow

I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you, but I do hope my advice is helpful.

If you do end up getting it going, I’d love to hear how you did it! It may end up helping another user in the future that also wants to do it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply, I guessed this might be the case and rather than waste a load time researching drop a message here.

Number 2 does sound like a good call, it was also where my thoughts were going! I guess that this should be possible as similar images/containers such as portainer agent does things very similar. For ref [Portainer] (https://www.portainer.io/)

I think the key parts to this is setting the docker-compose to
volumes:
- /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock:ro
security_opt:
- no-new-privileges:true

I just now need to figure out how to setup the tentacle on docker. Im sure I have seen the documentation somewhere.

Also would just like to commend you guys on a great product and supporting documentation.

Ta

2 Likes

Hey Craig,

Thanks so much for the kudos! I’ll pass it along internally.

In case you haven’t found it yet, here is the documentation on running Tentacle in a container: Octopus Tentacle in a Container - Octopus Deploy

If you get time, please let me know if you get it going! I hope you have a great weekend.

Best,
Jeremy

1 Like

Hey Craig,

One of our developers who installed Tentacle on his own NAS had this from his notes to share in case you go down that route (or anyone else that finds this thread).

1. ssh to the nas
2. sudo su -
3. docker run -d -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock  -v /volume1/docker/tentacle:/etc/octopus --env ACCEPT_EULA=Y --env DISABLE_DIND=Y --env MachinePolicy="Default Machine Policy" --env PublicHostNameConfiguration=ComputerName --env ServerApiKey=API-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX --env ServerPort=10943 --env ServerUrl="` `https://XXXXXXXX.octopus.app` `" --env Space=Default --env TargetEnvironment=Home --env TargetName=Nas --env TargetRole=nas --name tentacle octopusdeploy/tentacle:latest"

I hope that helps if you go the SSH route!

Best,
Jeremy

Hi,

I have yet to have play around with this, i got the container deployed but ran into a couple of errors when the deployment was being done. I will get some time next week to look into this and hopefully be able to report some success :slight_smile:

Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

Looking forward to hearing about it!

Best,
Jeremy