Tentacle Manager Permissions Error (non-admin)

Related to this closed discussion: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/47097-tentacle-manager-permissions-error-when-run-as-non-admin

The GitHub issue linked there seems to be an effort to produce a better error. I’d actually prefer a UAC prompt with an unhandled error instead of the same behavior as James where a reboot is the only fix. I recreated the error and took a look at the logs. Within about 30 seconds the manager logs nearly 200 events of two different types. Screenshots attached. I’ve opened an issue internally since this seems to be an issue with AppLocker, but maybe it’s something that can be handled in the manager app?

1. AppID Service is called to verify \?\C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Octopus.Manager.Tentacle.exe signature. Status 0x0.
  2. %PROGRAMFILES%\OCTOPUS DEPLOY\TENTACLE\OCTOPUS.MANAGER.TENTACLE.EXE was allowed to run.

These errors alternate 90 times each in this order in about 30 seconds as the process is spawned and killed repeatedly.

Hello John,

Thanks for getting in touch and proving some more details. We’ll have another look at that issue and see if we have any more luck this time.

Do you have a work around in the mean time, or do you just have to wait until it gets added to the AppLocker rules?

Here’s a direct link to the GitHub issue so it’s part of this discussion too: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2639

Regards,
Nick

Not yet internally with AppLocker, but we do have a work around which is to yell at people and tell them not to launch the manager without admin access less they really want to reboot. :slight_smile:

Minor inconvenience, mostly, but the process behavior when launched is not something I have seen with other apps having been forced to run in an AppLockered environment for years now.

Mostly just wanted to bring it to your attention in case there was more information I could provide since the previous thread ended. It’s not a deal breaker for me. I’m available for troubleshooting or testing if this bubbles up onto someones radar. Thanks!