Tentacle Exception

We installed the tentacles on our production servers about a week ago and today our Ops guys told us one of the servers reported an exception. We haven’t done any deployments yet so the tentacles haven’t done anything other than be installed. Have you seen this issue?

Here’s the exception from the windows event logs.

Log Name: Application
Source: Octopus Tentacle
Logged: 03/06/2014 01:42:05
Event ID: 0
Level: Error
User:
Computer:

2014-03-06 01:42:05.4580 ERROR Error checking pending timeouts
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
at System.IO.File.InternalReplace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName, Boolean ignoreMetadataErrors)
at System.IO.File.Replace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName)
at Pipefish.Persistence.Filesystem.ActorStateFile.Save(ActorStateDictionary state) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish\Persistence\Filesystem\ActorStateFile.cs:line 90
at Pipefish.PersistentActor`1.Save() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish\PersistentActor.cs:line 61
at Pipefish.WellKnown.Timing.Clock.Save() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish\WellKnown\Timing\Clock.cs:line 58
at Pipefish.WellKnown.Timing.Clock.Check() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish\WellKnown\Timing\Clock.cs:line 109

I forgot to say that the servers are running Windows 2008 R2 Service Pack 2

Also, I had Ops check the other servers and they found it on another server, so it’s happened on more than one server at different times.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi,

Does the server have a virus scanner or some other process that might be locking the file?

We try to write to this file occasionally; not being able to write to it probably isn’t a real problem, but it might be worth investigating.

Paul

Yes there is a virus scanner and I’m not sure how often it runs. The server team manages all of that. I’ll keep an eye on it and if I find any more clues on to why it’s doing this I’ll let you know.

Thanks,
Dan