Tentacle crashes on startup

We’re evaluating Octopus for our automatic deployment. The Tentacle started crashing on startup (note the server and tentacle are running on the same test server). It had worked with the original project I created. I created a new project using a single line Powershell script (RoboCopy command) and since attempting that deployment the Tentacle continues to crash with the following exception. I uninstalled both the server and Tentacle and reinstalled them with no effect. I’ve attached both logs. Any ideas?

Additional Info: Even after uninstalling both the server and tentacle, removing the folders and removing the registry entries once reinstalled the tentacle still fails with the same message. Obviously there’s something left behind. I can no longer proceed with my evaluation.

2014-01-07 10:39:57.8150 ERROR Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener.Start(Int32 backlog)
at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Server.SecureTcpServer.Start() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Server\SecureTcpServer.cs:line 46
at Octopus.Tentacle.Communications.TcpServer.TcpServerDistributionConfig.StartApp() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Communications\TcpServer\TcpServerDistributionConfig.cs:line 85
at Octopus.Tentacle.Communications.TcpServer.TcpServerDistributionConfig.Start() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Communications\TcpServer\TcpServerDistributionConfig.cs:line 51
at Octopus.Tentacle.Communications.DistributionStarter.Start() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Communications\DistributionStarter.cs:line 17
at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RunAgentCommand.Start() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RunAgentCommand.cs:line 43
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.WindowsServiceHost.<>c__DisplayClass2.b__0() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\WindowsServiceHost.cs:line 19
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.WindowsServiceAdapter.RunService() in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\1116bd9da9e239fd\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\WindowsServiceAdapter.cs:line 44

OctopusServer.txt (179 KB)

OctopusTentacle.txt (3 KB)

Hi Mike,

It looks like the Tentacle is configured to listen on a port that is being used either by the Octopus server or another service on the same machine. The Tentacle.config file in C:
\Octopus\Tentacle will tell you exactly which port this is.

From a Windows administrative command prompt you can run:

netstat -o -n -a

To list services listening on various ports and find the conflict.

In your installation the Octopus Server is using 80, 10931 and 10943, so any of these will be unavailable to the Tentacle.

Hope this helps,
Nick