Tentacle connection issues

Hello

I am having issues with Octopus server connections to a tentacle, we have multiple tentacles that are working fine, but there is one that I cannot get to work.

When running health check from the Octopus Server I get the following error:

Opening a new connection to https://172.25.208.41:10933/ 
Info
Connection established to [::ffff:172.25.208.41]:10933 for https://172.25.208.41:10933/ 
Info
Performing TLS handshake 
Info
Secure connection established. Server at [::ffff:172.25.208.41]:10933 identified by thumbprint: 98750DB23865ED1136F5D4110CC2C65634C690A9, using protocol Tls12 
Info
Identifying as a client 
Info
Sent: IScriptService::StartScript[1] / 3b0e2bfa-fed3-47c3-8b3f-b9e5a1752ff1 
Error
The connection to the host at https://172.25.208.41:10933/ timed out, there may be problems with the network, connection will be retried. 

And the Tentacle logs:

> 5532      8  INFO  listen://[::]:10933/              8  Accepted TCP client: [::ffff:82.xxx.xx.xx]:65139
> 5532      9  INFO  listen://[::]:10933/              9  Client at [::ffff:82.xxx.xx.xx]:65139 authenticated as 68C8636036C2D5ACF06011C18337CE00919C604E
> 5532      9 ERROR  listen://[::]:10933/              9  Socket IO exception: [::ffff:82.xxx.xx.xx]:65139
> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
>    at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

Is there anything you can recommend I try to resolve this issue?

Regards
Natan

Hi Natan,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your query.

The logs appear to show that an initial connection is made but that it is then disconnected for some reason. Could you please advise if there are any differences between this Tentacle and your working Tentacles? For example, is this one on a different network segment, does it have different anti-virus software, does it have a similar amount of free resources and so on?

It might also be worth running through our Tentacle troubleshooting guide:

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

Most of our Tentacles are behind a VPN tunnel, we have multiple customers and each have their own hosting environment. that is the only difference that I am aware of.

When using TentaclePing and TentaclePong, there are no errors.
Is there anything I can try to get a better understanding on what is causing the issue? Additional logs or tools?

Hi Natan,

Thank you for the quick reply.

The logs you have posted are the only ones from Octopus that are likely to be relevant. However, they do provide us with some context and might help us to narrow down the issue.

The server log shows that the connection is established and then, from the point of view of the server, the connection times out. This indicates the server didn’t close the connection.

The Tentacle log shows that a connection was established and authenticated but that something outside of the Tentacle itself caused a disconnection (and not a timeout). This would suggest something on the Tentacle machine or on the network it is connected to closed the connection.

The most likely explanation is therefore that something outside of Octopus Deploy on the Tentacle or on it’s network is detecting and closing the connection. In many cases this has turned out to be false positives from proxies, anti-virus software, firewalls or other intrusion detection software. Can you please check and see if any of these are in use and, if so, have they logged anything against the Tentacle software?

Best Regards,

Charles

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.