Tentacle.config is missing

Hello

We have run into an issues where one of our listening Tentacles could not communicate with our Octopus server. We discovered that the Tentacle service was not running on our target, so we restarted the Tentacle using the services snap-in. However, the Tentacle did not start. In the Windows event log we found a message stating that the Tentacle could not find the Tentacle.config file. The Tentacle.config file was indeed missing. Any ideas on why the .config file isn’t present? I’m assuming it has always been there because our Octopus deployments have been working flawlessly up to this point.

Also, what is the best way to re-enable this tentacle now that the .config file is missing? I was considering using the Reinstall button on the Tentacle Manager, but didn’t want to further damage our setup. When I opened Tentacle Manager the GUI appeared is a way that looks like there has yet to be a tentacle configured.

Calamari 3.3.5 is installed on the target.

Thanks

Curtis

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for getting in touch, and I’m sorry to hear you have run into this issue!

The times that we’ve had customers report that Octopus related files have mysteriously been deleted there has been some software (such as security software or even puppet/chef) running on the server that have inadvertently removed files it shouldn’t have.

Can I get you to confirm that there haven’t been any changes to your server that may have be related to the removal of these files?

Regarding the best way to re-enable the Tentacle is unfortunately to re-install the default instance and pointing it to the same folders as the Tentacle that is currently broken.

Hope that helps!

Thank you and warm regards,
Henrik

Thanks Henrik

There aren’t any server changes or software that come to mind that might be the culprit.

Re-installing the default instance worked great. Thanks for the help.

Hi Curtis,

Good to hear that you got the Tentacle back up and running, if this happens again, please do not hesitate to contact us and we’ll try and figure out why the files would’ve been deleted.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik