Tentacle Clone

I had a tentacle VM that was cloned, prior to my knowledge of not being able to clone tentacle VMs. I uninstalled the Octopus tentacle, deleted the folder, then re-installed it only to get the following error when doing a check health on the environment “Machine MTTXXXX uses the same endpoint (physical Tentacle with SQUID SQ-MTTXXXX-”. Also I cannot deploy because I get a similar error stating that the two tentacles share the same endpoint. Is there a way to fix this mess?

Thanks,
Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for getting in touch! You can update the SQUID on the Tentacle using Tentacle.exe like so:

C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle>tentacle.exe new-squid
Octopus Deploy: Tentacle version 2.6.0.741

Generating a new SQUID for the Tentacle...
The new SQUID of this Tentacle is: SQ-WIN2014R2-83803211

Then you should be able to reset the connection to the machine and it will recognize the new SQUID.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa

Vanessa,

Thanks for your help. I was able to get the new SQUID generated and delete/added the machine back to Octopus Deploy. Deployments are working again.

Thanks,
Matthew

I believe the command has been updated in recent versions of tentacle.exe to:

c:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle> tentacle.exe new-certificate

But otherwise this still works for cloned VMs.

Hi Steve,

Yes you are correct, we do not use SQUIDs in 3.x. Thanks for keeping the thread relevant :slight_smile:

Vanessa

I found that on Octopus 2.6.5 (API 3.0.x) that I had to run new-squid and new-certificate, and then delete and readd the Tentacle on the Octopus Deploy server after I had cloned a machine from Beta to Staging.

I believe I also had to specify the --instance “Tentacle” in order to get it to update the running service/config as well.