I don’t know whether this is the way the product is supposed to work or not but this is what happened.
We were on 2.5 version with Application folder redirected on Tentacles from C:\XXX to D:\XXX (temp Azure SSD drive). We did this so the extractions and file copy is as fast as possible.
And this is what we did next:
- Upgraded the server to 2.6
- Upgraded the tentacles via the web UI
- Changed our project to run 3 steps in parallel
- Added OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex to our project
After all of this have been done we noticed that that path to Tentacle binaries has changed from C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle to D:\Octopus\Applications.SQ-TRET-LAB-WEB01-548CBD26\Octopus.Tentacle. We haven’t seen this before and because the D drive is temporary, the Tentacle binaries disappeared once the VM was restarted. My understanding was that the Applications folder was only for data. I uninstalled the tentacle and installed it again and now it is working fine and the binaries are deployed under C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle.