Tentacle automatic installation using Terraform

Hello all,
I am trying to achieve as mush automation as possible using Terraform Provider of Octopus deploy. I am at the step where i need to deploy the tentacle to the target EC2 instance, and register it to my self-hosted Octopus Deploy server.

Is there any possible way to do it, other than the “user-data” section of Terraform?
Thank you.

Hey,

Thanks for reaching out to Octopus!

Unfortunately, the only way I have ever used terraform to run custom scripts is using the user-data section.

Is there a reason you can’t use that?

You can check out some samples here that use terrafrom to create an Octopus worker.

Thanks

Adam

1 Like

Hello Adam,
Thank you for your reply.
I would prefer to avoid user-data because with this execution you don’t actually get a logging of the actual script execution within the Terraform terminal. Nevetheless, it would be great if you had an example using user-data just to test and see whether i can adopt it to me needs.
Thank you for the link above, it is very useful even though it is the opposite of what i am trying to do which is to execute and register the Tentacle via Terraform and not via Octopus Server.
Thank you again for your reply.
Paris

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.