Tentacle Automated Install Fails

Hello,
We are running Octopus Server v3.3.0-beta0001 and discovered an issue when running the tentacle.exe register-with command. I have included the stack trace below that is thrown. Looks like the server is returning HTML vs JSON? This seems to be something server side as I am able to successfully run the commands with a stable release. I have also tried the beta tentacle client which throws the same error. I also get the same error when using the Octopus.Client as well. Hope this helps. I have not looked to see if this was resolved in beta-0002 but will look now. If this is the case please delete this.

Thank you,
Marco

2016-02-23 00:21:06.5559      1 FATAL  Unable to process response from server: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0.. Response content: <!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
  <title ng-bind="$root.pageTitle + ' - Octopus Deploy'">
Octopus.Client.Exceptions.OctopusDeserializationException: Unable to process response from server: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0.. Response content: <!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
  <title ng-bind="$root.pageTitle + ' - Octopus Deploy'"> ---> Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0.
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue()
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ReadInternal()
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.Read()
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.ReadForType(JsonReader reader, JsonContract contract, Boolean hasConverter)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader, Type objectType, Boolean checkAdditionalContent)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader, Type objectType)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(String value, Type type, JsonSerializerSettings settings)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject[T](String value, JsonSerializerSettings settings)
   at Octopus.Client.OctopusClient.DispatchRequest[TResponseResource](OctopusRequest request, Boolean readResponse) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.21\source\Octopus.Client\OctopusClient.cs:line 438
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Octopus.Client.OctopusClient.DispatchRequest[TResponseResource](OctopusRequest request, Boolean readResponse) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.21\source\Octopus.Client\OctopusClient.cs:line 479
   at Octopus.Client.OctopusClient.Get[TResource](String path, Object pathParameters) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.21\source\Octopus.Client\OctopusClient.cs:line 85
   at Octopus.Client.OctopusClient.EstablishSession() in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.21\source\Octopus.Client\OctopusClient.cs:line 313
   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
   at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()
   at Octopus.Client.OctopusClient.get_RootDocument() in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.21\source\Octopus.Client\OctopusClient.cs:line 45
   at Octopus.Client.OctopusRepository.CertificateRepository.GetOctopusCertificate() in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.21\source\Octopus.Client\OctopusRepository.cs:line 684
   at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RegisterMachineCommand.Start() in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.21\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RegisterMachineCommand.cs:line 82
   at Octopus.Shared.Startup.AbstractCommand.Octopus.Shared.Startup.ICommand.Start(String[] commandLineArguments, ICommandRuntime commandRuntime, OptionSet commonOptions) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.21\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\AbstractCommand.cs:line 57
   at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action`1 start, Action shutdown) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.21\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ConsoleHost.cs:line 72
   at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.Run() in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.21\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\OctopusProgram.cs:line 87

Hi Marco,

Thanks for getting in touch. I’ve just run through these steps myself using the instructions here and it’s working nicely with Octopus 3.3.0-beta0001.

From the error message you’ve sent through it looks like the --server URL is not correct. It should be the root URL of your Octopus Server.

If this doesn’t work, could you please send me through the script you are using to add the Tentacle, making sure to scrub the API key?

Hope that helps!
Mike

Mike,
Noticed we were using http vs https. That fixed it.:frowning:

Thanks for the help. Ticket can be closed.

Marco