Tenanted, un-tenanted and deployment target licence double use

We’re currently in the situation where we’re swapping a project over to be fully tenanted. In non-production environments this project shares a server with an un-tenanted project, what this means is that we have to have the same deployment target listed twice under an environment doubling the number of licence uses we burn through. This seems very unfair? I’m sure there must have been a good reason for doing this but unless all projects were migrated instantly there was no other way around the problem. This is restricting us from utilising the proxy support for deployments to additional servers as we now only have 1 deployment target remaining on our licence.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting in touch. We certainly don’t intend to create an unfair situation regarding licensing. We have had some conversations with other customers about this same situation over here, and you can read about our reasoning for the decision we made during the beta phase, primarily one about being safe-by-default: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/9031-tennant-and-non-tennant-deploys-to-the-same-server

We are planning to implement a feature to alleviate this situation, but in the meantime you can work around it by:

1. Create a dummy tenant
  2. Connect the dummy tenant to your common project and any environments the common project should be deployed to
  3. Add the dummy tenant to all Deployment Targets that should get the common project
  4. In the common project > Settings > Multi-tenant deployments, select Require a tenant for all deployments
  5. You should now be able to deploy your multi-tenant project and common project to your deployment targets without requiring multiple Tentacles.

I personally think this is a workaround, and less than desirable since you now need to add both a Role and Tenant to each Deployment Target, instead of just the Role, but it should work until we implement the feature I mentioned earlier.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have considered a workaround of this nature however the time required to implement it into our deployment process with the number of environments and number of projects would be fairly high. Do you know what kind of priority this issue has or when a proper fix might be released?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately I can’t offer you an ETA, but we now have 3 customers in a similar situation and it is near the top of our priority list.

I’ll send through more details including a link to a GitHub Issue you can track.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Hi Mike,

Any update on that GitHub link to track the issue?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Here’s the GitHub Issue to track: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2722

Hope that helps!
Mike

Add in another customer desiring this capability, please. We have way too many projects and deployment targets for the effort of setting up a hacky dummy tenant workaround to be worth the effort.

We just need the ability to do both operational (non-tenanted) tasks and deploy tenanted projects on the same servers that have tenanted applications.

Add one more customer with this issue. We have 600 tentacles deployed to by 30 or so projects. The workarounds to install an extra tentacle on 600 machines globally, or to move all oft these hosts into a dummy tentacle is not really tenable.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for weighing in on the topic. This is at the top of our radar for improving multi-tenant support. The best place to get involved is over in the GitHub Issue: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2722

We will be proposing designs and commenting on progress.

Hope that helps!
Mike